View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
mattamatta

Yeah, I checked out your BSB video as well.

Well, I sort of made it down there.
Trolled a 1oz krocodile from the harbor mouth down to the south jetty and thought I’d bring it in only to find a little lizard fish on there that I hadn’t even noticed. Switched to dragging a sabiki and got a nice sized mackerel On the way to the pier. Let him go and picked up four more a bit closer. Trolled one of them with no luck, and he wasn’t very lively by the time I got there, so he went back in.

Around the pier I fished the krocodile spoon again for a quick lizard fish in the first minute or so, and then spend a couple minutes with a homemade butter knife jig I just put together during the week and caught what looked like the exact same fish. Not a great catch, but i was just glad to have some action and see the butter knife actually work.

I was starting to feel a little seasick by that time, even though conditions were pretty beautiful. I didn’t stay more than probably five minutes there, since I wanted to get to buccaneer pipe. Headed down that way, stopping briefly at a yellow bouy inshore a little bit south of the pier. Not sure what that one means, but I saw some floats of some sort bobbing in the area.

Eventually, I got down off Buccaneer beach and my gps point was about 1000ft out further, but by that point I was feeling pretty sick, had to go to the bathroom pretty badly, and just wanted to go home, so I didn’t even attempt to fish and turned around to go back, feeling pretty bad the whole way. I don’t know if I’m just going to be prone to seasickness even on the kayak, or if it was just that I was worn out from a busy weekend before the early morning and long paddle, or maybe the two beers I had the night before. Still felt a bit sick today, so maybe I’m actually fighting something off and not doomed to get queasy in the water.

That was only my second time in the open ocean, after going out of the harbor and down to around the south jetty a couple weekends ago. Only been in the bays so far before that. Maybe this weekend I can try again with more care toward seasickness and see how I do.

I still have the itch to fish since I spent most of my time on the water paddling to and from fishing spots and not much actually fishing. The mackerel and lizard fish were pretty effortless, so that made a total of eight, if you count “bait”, which is more than I’ve seen in a while, so that’s a good upgrade from getting skunked too many times recently! Plus, now I can say I’ve caught a fish with a butter knife, which I think is awesome.

Matt
mattamatta is offline   Reply With Quote