View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Yak_AP

My first post.

I'm a noob. I've been out w/ Guyak a few times on an old Scupper Pro and minimal gear. I first want to say everyone I've met seems really nice and the community reminds me of the only other forum I spend any time on; advrider.com. BWE seems like a great site.

So Sunday Guy and I were out as he was trying out his new center hatch flush mounted bait tank. That thing is pretty sweet I might add and the mackerels were just fine at the end of the day. Too bad he still had them!

As for me, I was just flinging plastics. About 10:30 Guy got a bite on a plastic that he had just tossed in on a small setup and the thing pulled all the line out. He called me over and on my first toss I ended up w/ the WSB below.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...ry.php/cat/549

It was 27.5 lb and 42 inches. Interestingly it had a bite mark on it that looked like it might have come from the big sea lion that was out there. It wasn't a chunk but just a light bite. Maybe that's the pull that just about pulled me into the water. Honestly, I'm a novice to all of this so I was pretty well in shock. I didn't even have a gaff. I went out and got a net the day before figuring I would end up w/ some calicos, but it wasn't near big enough and I wasn't expecting to be just about pulled out of my yak.

I was using 60lb Spectra and a 40lb flouro leader. Heavy for calicos, but I was being optimistic. I had my drag too tight as it wasn't able to pull out much so the fight was pretty short. Novice stuff I realized too late.

Other than that, it was slow for me. I didn't catch anything else. Beautiful day on the water and a few bites. Honestly I would have been happy but taking home this baby was a shocker. My wife and I are having our first baby on Wed (scheduled C-section due to baby being breach). It was a nice day for being my last weekend of non-parenthood.

The first pic shows the plastic that I was using.
Yak_AP is offline   Reply With Quote