Thread: halibut rod?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
mrJB

Funny you should mention that rod... I had the exact same rod break on me the first time out, also on a snag. Broke about 1/3 back from the tip. I had purchased it at a Kencor "liquidation" sale at Hogan's in DP. Stephanie was good enough to replace it immediately but, since there were no more available, she gave me the next closest Kencor they had in stock. Without even taking the wrapping off I had it on Craig's List and sold it for what I originally paid for it.

On the other hand, a few months later I came into a Kencor K-SWBT 711H (15 - 30) and it is one of my favorite halibut rods, usually the second rod on my kayak.

Your question as to "recommended halibut rods" will get a zillion different responses. When in doubt, use what the expert(s) are using. Greg A. knows what he is talking about and has had the fish to back him up.

There will be other considerations beyond the rod's "action" to further complicate your choices. Things like actual weight, handle length, handle thickness, etc. are important to me. Also where you'll be fishing - shallow, deep, etc., and the warrantee/guarantee that comes with the rod. I'm partial to Teramars and currently own a bunch of them, but my favorite "go to" Teramar is a TMC 76H. I believe this is an East Coast version (blue blank, silver guides) - fast action and not extra-fast - so more parabolic and a bit softer - and it's light weight with a thinner cork grip. More like a medium West Coast Teramar rather than it's "heavy" West Coast counterpart. Unfortunately, I've seen the new Teramars that have come out; they are looking more like bass rods and pretty wimpy for halibut.

My $.02: borrow your friends rods for half an hour while out there and that will help you narrow your choices. Beyond that, the general consensus seems to be, at least for kayaks and halibut fishing, keep it light, parabolic, and somewhere around a medium action, give or take.

Oh, on the reel, I use lefty Calcutta's and Avets. The Calcutta 401 is a little pricy but a great reel. The Avet series is a GREAT reel for the price, but you need to stay up on your maintenance.