Thread: Eastern Sierras
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 02:22 AM   #16
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Just my .02...
First off the June Lake Loop is not as developed as Mammoth Lakes is and there is little in the way of grocery stores and variety of restaurants (like there is in Mammoth). That being said the June loop is hands down my favorite place to camp/stay and fish. It is centrally located between Rock Creek, Crowley/Convict lakes, Owens River, Hot Creek (if you Fly Fish Only!) and Mammoth Lakes to the south, Lundy, the Virginia Lakes, Bridgeport lake, East Walker River, Twin Lakes (Bridgeport) to the north. Weather permitting, if the pass is still open Yosemite is just over the hill
If there's already snow "on the mountain" finding a room if the weather gets bad might be a challenge. So be fore warned, check the weather before you go up. El Niño years can be unpredictable, it may start to rain and snow as early as September.
Gull Lake lodge was a favorite of my fishing buddies that I use to fish the Eastern Sierra's with. They have kitchenettes if you want (to save on the dining costs), for making breakfast for the children (ie. cereal or more if your so inclined). It's located a block away from Gull Lake an easy walk/roll with a Kayak (between June and Gull lakes) so if the wife wants to take the children sightseeing with the car they can sleep in and you still have access to the room at your convenience (for a nap, lunch break etc.). As previously mentioned "the Tiger Bar" is a good place to eat and was also a favorite of my buddies whenever we were up there (along with "Nik 'n' Willies" in Mammoth).
There's also Silver Pines Chalet (also a block away. It's a little place I used to stay when I was too lazy to camp. It only has a couple rooms adequate for a family stay (I always stayed in the smaller rooms) so you might want to research this before deciding on a stay here.
As mentioned by other members October weather can be sketchy up there, I can't count the number if times I camped out (since I was about 5 and I'm 55+ now) and woke up to a couple inches of snow in the morning!
Do yourself a favor and check out the fishing regs for this time of year. Don't forget to apply for your license if you haven't gotten one this year! I have witnessed Fish and Game wardens taking pictures, confiscating gear, fish, and writing tickets. Stop in at the Troutfitter (behind the shell station in Mammoth), Rick's Sport Center or Kittredge Sports in Mammoth or Ernie's Tackle shop in June Lake.
I would hate to see what should be a pleasant well earned vacation into a nightmare!
I also, thank you for your service!
Good luck to you.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 08-19-2015 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote