View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
rhyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Angler numbers and the relatively advanced age of the kayak fishing scene have a lot to do with the situation. As did web fragmentation (devolution). And the local concentration of most kayak anglers into relatively few fishing spots.

Consider also the collapse of the tournament schedule, which was largely but not solely offered and supported by retailers. I was very sorry to see the demise of the Moyer Memorial, at the time the longest running kayak fishing tournament in the world. Don't forget the red tape - permits and insurance are required for most events staged down here.

I think I have a broader perspective than most, and I've been around a long time. I've thought about and discussed these issues for years. The rise of code groups, Facebook and the MLPA have played a part. The modern birthplace of kayak fishing at Pt Dume is an MPA, no fishing, no-how. How's that for an insult?

Kayak anglers who are enjoying a heyday in other regions at least know what to watch for.
I agree to some aspects. The crowds do not seem to participate any longer. But why is that. Is the question.

Someone said over crowding, not sure if anyone is familiar with the BAY area but pretty damn populated and overcrowded and they seem to share just fine.

Is it because the MLPA is fresh down here and still hurts. Central Coast has had MLPAs for what? 10 years, most of the north coast ones pushing 6+ years, still there obviously but hurts. Some great locations no longer available, but still a lot of great locations to discover and share with friends.

Im pretty sure there was a time when the Albion Open was called ELK but that individual let the MLPA take him away from the Kayak community from what I have heard, with all due respect for this person, our we all gonna let this happen to the socal scene or is it already too late, due to not being able to fish certain area's.
We need it to bring us together, for the next battle that will arrive before we know it and need to be standing 300 strong not 30 strong...

There should be comradery among all of us not hatred and regret that's how it almost feels. Paul you know how that feels when you go to a NCKA event everyone is family and that's how it should be down here.

Regards,

Ryan

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote