View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #8
dpricenator

I'm going to jump in and post mine here too. I couldn't figure out where else to put it so we'll only use 1 thread for completely off topic reports.

Went out on the Producer which is also out of H&M Landing, this past Saturday night for an Overnight trip. I had a hard time sleeping so when the engine stopped, a couple of us got up. It was 4:30 AM and the Captain said there were fish under the boat and asked us to toss some jigs to see if they were biting. I tossed a small glow in the dark Flat Fall and was bit before the jig got past the 2nd color change in my line. So less than 50 ft down. We had 2 Yellow Fin h on board in the first 10 minutes. People started to stir as they heard we were on the fish. More jigs went in the water and more fish came on board. We had 100 Skipjack and Yellow Fin before 7am. We fished for the next 4 hours and put the other 200 fish, we needed to go BOAT LIMIT. They never turned the engine on after the first stop at 4:30. I had never seen anything like it. Friggin blood everywhere. 3-4 people yelling GAFF at any given time. We caught the limit on the Skip Jack first so we were having to break those off and re-tie hooks 3-4 times before we got a Yellow fin. So if we count the extra SkipJack, on average we put 1 fish on the boat for every 1 minute we fished, for 6 hours straight. 150 YF, 149 SkipJack, 1 dorado ( which ate a guy's live bait and then another guy's jig, they reeled it in together). We left the fishing grounds 3 hours early, with high fives, hoots and hollers all around. About an hour later, people were passed out sleeping all over the boat. All fish were 15-25lb range. The Sashimi is awesome, but my poke is to die for. Giving a bunch away at work today.

side story, I got caught in a tangle and just cut my line to get out of it. I had 100lb Orange spectra with a 25 lb leader. Now the leader was gone. It was still dark out so tying a uni to uni was not gong to happen. I tied a hook straight to the spectra, added bait and was hit with in 30 seconds. I caught 3 fish on straight 100 lb spectra, tied to a hook. Got tangled and switched rods so I would have the bounce of the mono leader.

If you can't do a 2.5 day for the cows, take a night and do an overnight trip.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote