Thread: Advice?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Janine, check out the Fisherman's Landing website on tackle recommendations (has some good basic stuff!). This length of trip can have the necessity for the most equipment because of the variety of fish you could run into.
My 7-10 day trips I tend to bring "the kitchen sink" (a rod for each species and size with appropriate line 10-15 rods).
Something they don't mention, I'd bring extra (1/4# spools of mono, for back up, up to 40#...I personally bring 1# and 3# spools up to 80#) because if you get into many "WFO" bites you could end up in a few tangles and lose quite a bit of line which may require respooling one or more times! Though they do carry extra terminal tackle and line on some boats I don't remember if the Vagabond does (only fished w/Art a couple times), in a good bite you may have to wait until someone is free to help you (but by that time the bite is winding down or hopefully not over!).
Circle hooks are good because they do hook fish themselves and in the corner of the mouth.
Ringed hooks can sometimes help your bait swim more naturally but bulk packs can be expensive (and that's ALL I buy just NOT the ringed ones! I tie my Tuna/Dodo Flies with them also). I buy Owner Power Split rings to add if absolutely necessary and pre rig a handful (my personal preference is a dozen to start then restock at night) to start.
Given the unusual year we're having this year, I'd keep careful watch on the multi-day fish counts to see what they're catching. September can be a really good time of year as the Big Eye Tuna tend to show about this time!
A week before your trip call the landing and see if they have any "last minute" recommendations and where the boat may plan to fish (sometimes you can thin out some of the gear if the fishing is real good or tough.)
Feel free to P.M. me if you have any other ?'s
Hope this helps. Just my .02
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 07-23-2014 at 11:17 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote