Old 10-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #29
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
So I have purchased:

-Stroker 7 ft. casting rod 15-40 lb action, on sale at big5
-Penn Warfare Star Drag 20N conventional reel, 15 lb. max drag
-KastKing SuperPower 50 lb braided line - low visibility grey

Is that line the best braided to go with? Or at least decent? I can return if not. Sounds like maybe it is on the thicker side at .4 mm?

What type of hooks should I use for la jolla kelp? 2/0 circular? I plan to run 6 foot 30 lb. mono leader for a while, then graduate to 30 lb flouro at some point.
Meh, on a rod/reel combo like that, I'd drop down to 40lbs braid (visibility doesnt matter in your situation), and get a few leader spools 20/30/40. My line preference is Seaguar Premier leader and Daiwa J-Braid in high-viz colors.

Take the reel to a shop and have them spool it up correctly. It will be cheaper in the long run and with braid on conventional reels is VERY important to make sure it gets spooled tight and neat.

Hooks all depend on size of bait (what are you doing for bait?) Remember, J hooks (flyline, gorilla, drop shot) typically need a solid hook set to catch a lip or mouth plate correctly. Circle hooks (Mutu) on the other hand don't need a hook set. Just apply pressure and reel, reel, reel.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote