View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 11:39 PM   #18
King Saba

Made a trip to Newport beach 2 weeks ago. I checked the surf report the night before which seemed fair, 3-4 foot surf with intervals in between sets. When I had arrived in the morning I spent a fair amount of time searching for street parking, I parked, loaded all my gear and dragged them to the sand. Initially, the surf appeared to be the 3-4 foot waves I saw online. I foolishly attempted to launch several times and with each time I hesitated. In the process the surge generated by the short shore break caused my kayak to flip. I had failed to strap all of my gear in tightly resulting in both of my rods snapping in half. And, all this happened even before I made an attempt to punch through the waves due to anxiety, hesitation, stubbornness, and lack of sleep.

The lesson I learned from that experience was to check the surf prior to making a launch attempt, strap everything down and to store what ever I can in the hull. Trust me, cleaning sand out of your reels and mirage drive is a pain.