Thread: WSB Huh...
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Phishalope
Junior

WSB Huh...

As a recant Midwest transplant...this form has been very helpful in making a transition to the saltwater sphere. I managed a few small early this summer...but haven't had much of value to report so far.

Anyway headed out yesterday thinking I'd try and get another while the water was still warm...instead got a hell of a surprise when a decided it wanted to tangle. Fish was caught in about 80 ft on a Carolina Rigged greenie. Bait was tough to come by...had to paddle about 0.4 of a mile south of the preserve find a nice school of greenies amidst the lobster buoys. Plan was to head out to 100-120 ft and drop down one of the greenies...but on the way out went over 8-10 nice marks at 80 ft. Decided to check it out and drop a bait down. As soon as the bait hit the right depth...one big head thump...hook set...and the fish made a wicked run to the kelp. After 15 min of the braid popping kelp stringers...the fish finally came free and 5 min later it was on the gaff. After bleeding...fish came in at 48 lb.

Specifics:
Depth: Fish at 40 ft...water column 80 ft
Bait: Greenie
Rigging: Carolina Rig...50 braid to 6 ft 40 lb floro leader...with 2 oz egg sinker
Time: ~10:30 AM
Water Temp: 70-71 F
Surf: 1-1.5 ft
Weather: 75...Sunny...wind less than 5 kt through noon

As a side note...talked to a few other guys on the water and it sounded like the yellows were still active. Generally school size fish around 8-12 lb. Never had a chance to test this info...as I only had a bait in the water for about 45 seconds yesterday...weird and crazy day.

Anyway...thanks all for posting info in the past...and I hope this post helps someone in the future.
Attached Images

Phishalope is offline   Reply With Quote