View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Lets see, there are at least 180,00 (Calif)fishing licenses issued each year??? One BSB taken per angler per year.... yea that math looks good to me. Just release the fish and make sure it swims away healthy.
I would be fine with what Dorado suggests since the BSB is such a majestic fish that takes many years to grow to full size. On the other hand, some say that the BSB population has recovered to the point where they have almost achieved "pest" status in some locations.

I am far from an expert on this subject but my thinking is that if it is ever determined that the BSB population can withstand some fishing pressure, maybe the best way to approach the management would be to have a lottery for a special permit which would allow some lucky fishers to catch and keep one fish of a particular size or larger. Kind of like what they do with hunting permits for some formally endangered animals.

The bigger problem in my view is that most people who catch a big BSB from deep water have no idea how to safely release the fish. I have read the recommended procedures but have never had to practice the technique. The only BSB I ever caught was a 10 pounder who quickly swam away after I removed the hook. I am hopeful that if I ever hook a big one, someone with a little experience is in the neighborhood.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 02-10-2011 at 06:40 PM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote