View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Sure, you can spend a lot of money going high end feeding your kayak fishing addiction. You can also get by with a very modest investment. I have a fishing buddy whose gear looks like it was picked up in the Craig's list free section. No bait tank, no fish finder, stuff is held together with duct tape and spit. Still, the guy usually catches more fish than I do. Go figure.

Regardless of the entrance fee cost, there are many things that make kayak fishing a low budget way to feed the addiction. Here is a partial list.

No slip fees

No launch fees

No registration fees

No insurance

Minimal maintenance costs

The only fuel burned is breakfast, (unless fishing with Josh when lunch and sometimes dinner is also required).

A day of fishing burns more calories than a day at the gym.

Free live bait

A twice daily opportunity to make a fool of yourself during launches and landings.

The freshest fish on the planet, (except for last summer)

Free whale watching tours

Camaraderie with a wonderful cast of characters

BWE

Being a frugal guy by nature, kayak fishing is the perfect fit for me. On the other hand, I am also an old guy who should be forgiven for forgetting some of the minor expenses that I may have failed to mention to my wife.

I am headed to the Fred Hall show on Friday and will probably come back with a few necessities that I can't live without. Regardless of the cost, they will surely be worth it. Nope, I won't be telling my wife about those purchases either.

Feel free to add to the list.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote