View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

If you watch a lot of the fishing shows that are filmed on the East Coast you will see a lot of Spinning Reels being used and there is nothing wrong with them. I have used spinning reels for Saltwater and Freshwater. I have never used one for big game saltwater however not saying that I would not, but I just haven't.

I'm interested to see what a lot of the replies will be on this thread. I like spinning gear and use it often. The last time I went on a Long range boat a guy brought two Spinning reels with him. He won the jackpot and caught more Albies than anyone on the boat because he was able to cast the baits further out.

Personally I think less spinning reels are used because of the perception that some have of spinning reels. You'll hear people say they are Coffee Grinders, or that is a whimpy fishing reel or something. Some people just like the way the conventional reels feel also. What I do know is using a spinning reel too much can lead to tennis elbow. I learned that the hard way 4 years ago. I was fishing every Saturday and Sunday and using a Dropshot rig on a spinning rod. After about 2 months of doing this I noticed I was developing Tennis Elbow from it. That's one reason I switch between types of reels.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote