View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #563
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Its a great idea, it looks like it will work similar to a trim tab. However........

How are you keeping it from going sideways? If one of the sides gets kelp or grass or whatever caught in on it the drag of whatever is hung up on it will cause the tab to turn sideways. If the tab is sideways my guess is that the motion of the kayak going up & down will cause drag on whatever side the tab is on and will in turn cause the kayak to go down or up in a sideways motion. I'm thinking that you'll have the same results when you're turning in rough seas.

With the above being said another thing that can happen is that the up & down motion of the kayak will result in unwanted pressure being placed on the plate and may cause it to snap, best thing that can happen is that the plate will snap and your pole will remain straight.

Anyway......that's my thought.

good luck
Good points, I drilled the circle to be snug with the pole, so it can still turn with pressure.... Kelp would be a problem... the plastic plate its pretty durable the same thickness as our kayaks, so i don't think it will snap off (but who knows)but I will just have to pull up the motor, as I always do when I go across kelp...

the 6 hours I spent in the ocean the other day didn't budge it, so I guess its still good. If it does move ill just readjust with my paddle.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote