View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #42
PAL

The meeting room is set up to accommodate PowerPoint - so if you want to bring a visual aid, do it. Just make sure to let the organizers know in advance.

Thank you for standing up for your irreplacable fishery. Please keep in mind you'll be talking to the regional stakeholders group, a 60-some person committee responsible for proposing MPAs aka reserves. What they don't do is make the rules (although you can encourage them to be creative and flexible in their interpretation). You'll have to come to the next BRTF meeting for the big picture stuff. I hope you don't plan on one and done!

If you tell them where you'd NOT like one, also offer them an alternative. May I suggest Del Mar for La Jolla? This is a diverse, quality marine environment far from ports. Good value! You might also remind them that the kayak fishing user group would be virtually wiped out by the preservationist proposals, which target every one of our major use areas. If enacted, someone, probably a newby, will get hurt trying to use an unsuitable launch.

If there are a lot of speakers, and there have been at recent meetings, expect only one minute per speaker. Other people can donate their speaking time - recently, each card was good for an additional 30 seconds up to a max of 3 minutes. Those who gave up their time might want to step to the podium with the speaker.

Hope that helps! And I'm very happy you are making the trip. My hat's off to you.

Paul
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote