View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #12
LSmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
That current from the NW is typically the best condition for the fish to bite. But like people are finding, it can be exhausting. And hooking and fighting a fish can lose you a 1/4 mile or more.

I've found it to be better to do a series of shorter drifts south and paddles north rather than one long down and back. You expend your energy with rest periods in between.

If you find your self down south and working hard n barely moving you might want to just end your fishing day. Pull in all lines, drain the bait tank, and paddle NE toward shore.
Usually the current is less closer to shore and the bluffs can mitigate some of the wind.

Practicing self rescue and actually self rescuing out at sea are indeed different. But the reentry techniques will be the same. Practicing can only help you. Knowing what to do will give you some thing to focus on rather than just "oh shit, what now"?

Knowing the techniques to right and reenter a kayak can let you help others. You can't do it for them. Often if you try to come along side to help stabilize their yak you're going to get dumped too. There are complicated aided rescue techniques used in SIS sea kayaking, but both yakkers have to know them and practiced them. I've found the best thing to do is take as much of their gear on to your kayak as possible, then talk them thru it. Just being near and knowing what to do is a big confidence boost for the guy in the water.

Always carry a hand bilge pump. Over the years ive pumped out 3 yaks, including my own. Mike

Thank you for the the advice/tips.
LSmoot is offline   Reply With Quote