View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #15
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
When I got my PA14, one of the first things I did was see how difficult it would be to get back in. One of the mistakes people make is going out on a nice day in their swim trunks and trying it out. I was in full fishing gear with fishing PFD on (you dont realize how bulky and in the way a PFD can be until you are trying to re-enter a kayak - it wants to catch on everything). By far the easiest, and for me the only way to get back in is either over the bow, or over the transom - if you dont have a bait tank, even easier. Having a rope loop tied to the rear grab bar that you can use as a stirrup to lift yourself up makes it a piece of cake - especially with a bait tank in place.

Now the Solo skiff with its long stiletto pointed bow makes it easy to slide right under you, then work your way back to the hatch and just sit up straddling the bow. then inch your way back to the cockpit. Had to figure that one out in real time down in Gonzaga...
Great advice about self rescue with a PFD on. I rolled soon after I started yak fishing. I couldn't get back into my yak even though I had watched lots of vids on re-entry. None of them mentioned that a PFD will hang up on the edge of the yak. King Saba had to stabilise my yak so I could re-enter.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote