View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #6
isghj
Junior

If you haven't been seasick before in your life, do not assume you won't get seasick on a kayak in the ocean.

I had never experienced seasickness until going out on a kayak to the kelp beds on one particular bad swell day and it was debilitating. It took 5 trips without seasickness for my brain to stop associating the smell of seaweed with being sick. I take seasickness medication every time now, just as a precaution (and because I bought the 100 pill bottle on amazon because it was cheaper than the 12 pill case from local stores...) but I strongly recommend you find some instant seasickness medicine you can take out there with you, and always check the swell forecast. Personally, short swell period is worse than swell height for me, I generally avoid days where the primary swell is <10 seconds unless it's <2 ft as well.

Bringing antacids and painkillers are a good idea too, extra water and food, you'll be half an hour minimum from your car at all times, tissues, don't go out with contacts without spare glasses in case a wave washes them out.

Leash everything, if you're fishing with big bait, expect big "fish"; keep the deck clear and keep anything that isn't leashed stowed, in case you hook into a shark and forget to reduce the drag before engaging the reel and find out your 'yellowtail' is a shark/BSB and pulls you out of your kayak and you lose everything and have to replace all your fishing gear because the boat hull wasn't latched and your rods weren't leashed. (don't be an idiot like me)

Street sweeping every Thursday at La Jolla, alternate streets though. If you want to play in the surf, I would suggest a beach with more surf normally.

The salt and sun destroy everything, don't take anything you can't replace or wasn't made to be used in saltwater, and wash everything regardless after every trip.
isghj is offline   Reply With Quote