View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
GregAndrew

Very comprehensive! You have come to the right place, cause we can use and abuse our electronics with the best of them.

1)No VHF carry regulations so far covering other small watercraft, but give it a week this is California.

2) Devices used for navigation and communication include but are not limited to: Compass, Cell Phone (for both), Chartplotters (usually as part of Fish finder), VHF radios.

3)Generally yes, but some do use their smart phones for both.

4)Space and weight are a premium on a kayak, so the more usefull functions you can get from your devices the more valuable they are. Most people that get into the sport will spend $300 or more on a Fishfinder and more than $100 on a VHF.

5)I Have had many "waterproof" radios miraculously become water resistant radios. In hindsight I would have paid $250 for a good one to start with (also floating is a good sell).

6) After about 3 miles distance you have very little communication with other kayaks cause we sit so low in the water and have little output in our battery devices.

7) Really, a cell phone has better range than a VHF. So a waterproof phone case is all that is needed for communication. A cell phone could also be enough for navigation if it has fishing apps and a good GPS.

8) Fish finders is about all.

9) Screen yes. Buttons - the fewer the better (take away from screen size and cause waterproofing problems). Speakers - no but they can be wirelessly connected to some.

10) Wet hands (especially on touch screens). Water drops on the screens (especially Salt Water).

11) The one benefit of the VHF radio is in its ability to broadcast to multiple ears. Instead of calling the Coast Guard on the phone, you can get help form the nearest craft. That gives it some value, but only if and when the range is useful. Dime store walkie talkies have better range than most of our current hand held VHFs. So combining them is only half the battle to adding value (the space saving).

12) Sonar capability and display without a bunch of hardware would be great. Bluetooth to connect your smart phone, headset and maybe your waterproof speakers while they remain stowed or affixed. Ability to upload Apps for picture/video review (GoPro). Voice activated features including the VHF.

The trend in combo Fish Finder/ Chart Plotters is toward large screens just like Cell Phones, so I am not sure if one that is removable to be portable is the best direction. Not to mention that we rarely need to port our radios anywhere. Adding functional features to the already existing screen is the value added. That being said, there is almost always space behind the Fish Finder for a detachable radio.

Just my opinions, but hope they help.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote