View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
ore714

07/01/2018 La Jolla Report - Calicos on the chew

I went out yesterday early around 4:30AM and it was probably the smoothest launch I have had in a while to waves less than a foot. I didn't even get wet goin out. Bait was a harder to find yesterday morning but after about hour of looking around I found some Spanish macks and kept finding a few throughout the morning. I trolled the edge of the kelp line for another hour or so and these big calicos kept eating the Spanish macks like they were candy. I was also throwing a flatfall jig I got bit just about every cast by some smaller calicos. This would have been great if I wanted to catch calicos ha! Anyhow I went to deeper water 130 FT west by south west to look around. I saw some fish busting on some bait but I was a bit too far away. I stayed the area as I saw them pop up a few times under some birds. A small skiff raced up and I guess they caught what looked like a small yellowtail. I started to head back in about 10AM once I got back to kelp more Calicos and a lot of bird activity from afar a litter after 11AM. The water has warmed up to about 70 and cleaned up a lot since the last time I was out about 3 weeks ago. It was a fun morning though with all angry calico bass chewing up everything!
ore714 is offline   Reply With Quote