View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #34
Superduper
Junior

5 years ago I had my 1st encounter with a great white in La Jolla. Coming in on a summer day approaching the 1st buoy, I would always throw my left over live bait to the sea lions that would sit on the buoy. That buoy is long gone now. This particular day 2 sea lions were on the buoy. As I approached I went to launch a live bait at em when all of a sudden they perked up and froze with their noses pointed towards the sky. My peripheral vision picked up a huge swirl in front of my kayak and when I focused in I saw the distinctive white markings on the lower back half of the shark diving down right under the buoy heading over to seal beach ( think that's what it's called?). I looked around to see if anyone else saw it. No one around me. Wow, I couldn't believe what I just saw... I sat and looked over to where it was heading and nothing happened. When I got home I looked up great whites to to see if the markings were the same. They were identical. Man I couldn't believe it. Middle of summer and a great white cruising through La Jolla...by the way I didn't mention the size. Let's just say based on the back half that I saw which was at least 8' and a side view of 2' or so - who knows it had to be huge. So now when I hear about sightings I think of this experience I had and say to myself "yep their around"...
Superduper is offline   Reply With Quote