View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #31
domtesta27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
I was just trying to look up calico patterns for flies I wanted to start tying for Asuncion trip - would it be possible to post up a couple pics of your calico flies? Or if you've got a link to point me to for calico fly recipes/tying videos that would be awesome.

I have the BVK 8wt and a TFO Clouser 10wt but they are both at my friends place down in La Ventana (outside of La Paz) I'm heading down there in either Sept. or November (before our trip) so I leave them with my buddy since you can't carry them onto the plane anymore.

I love the 8wt BVK - the 10wt with my Reddington Behemoth reel on it get's tiring - specially since I'm throwing full sinking 450grain Jim Teeny lines with are beastly.

BTW that Hatch is a beautiful reel! I have Lamson Liquid reels on all my rods except for the 10wt - they're relatively cheap and the set-up I bought comes with two extra spools! I mis-treat them and they keep working.

I'm going to bring the 8 and 6 wt for the Calicos at Asuncion - if they die there, so be it.

Can't wait for that trip!
I'll post up some of the flies that im gonna send to bob in a few days, but there are a few good resources on the web to look at besides BWE for calico fly patterns.

Dig around at fliflicker.com that's the socal flyfishing forum.

Also google Vaughn Podmore he has a flyfishing charter out of long beach that goes to catalina and the Podmore Anchovie is a legit calico pattern.

Youtube the Calico Syndicate (they have one video just about calico fly patterns that is very helpful!)

Hope this helps!
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote