View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslayer99 View Post
Thanks makobob, yeah definitely welded hull and galvanized trailer. I am curious about the condition of the outboard and the hull. Also, I want to make sure that the electronics and steering are still in shape. Will likely need an overhaul.
Yah I think you'll have better luck asking someone to come along out of kindness then offering them 5$. Just sayin'

As far as the hull, a sea trial should tell you if any of the welds need fixing or leak.

Engine - Only way to really get an idea of engine health is to do a compression test on the motor and match the reading to the acceptable compression recommended by the engine manufacturer. Also good maintenance records are crucial as well as general sound on the water. Look up the recommended service intervals and make sure the service has been done by the previous owner preferably at a shop or by a boat mechanic. During a seatrial you should really run the boat in all conditions and really give it some throttle- it should sound like it runs well.

Stick to fuel injected if you don't want to tinker with carburetors and 4stroke if you don't want to worry about mixing oil into the fuel every time and a noisy motor.

Check the trim controls. up down on the console and the motor if it has the buttons on the motor.

Don't know much about steering, but my understanding of hydraulic systems is just need to make sure it doesn't leek (that includes rubber seals).

Electronics: 1 do they work? 2 are they corroded? 3 do they look waterproof/wired for salt.

TEST EVERYTHING under the conditions you will be using it. It's amazing how many little things you figure out later. bait tank plumping issues, bilge pump issues.

Good Luck!

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote