View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
iethinker

Sunday Sunrise Session in South San Diego For Scenes of Serenity, Spotties And Several Species

.....or, SSSSSSSSSS

This is a kayak fishing report for Sunday 10/25 from South San Diego Bay.

I launched from the beach in Chula Vista while it was still barley dark. The tide was as high as I had ever seen and still had two more hours to rise. I did not take any photo at this time assuming it would not turn out well due to the low light. Nevertheless, today's tidal coefficient was to be extreme delivering both the highest and lowest tides I have ever seen here.

I launched, pedaled towards my destination and then stopped to rig some tackle and bait. The water was mirror smooth and shortly after first light the sun tried to rise. Semi-overcast conditions, perfect temperatures and low winds persisted throughout the session. Here are a few pictures showing various shades of color that accompanied first light and sunrise. It was definitely a serene scene and just what I came here for!

Sun's first rays starting over Chula Vista Marina:

The scene turns red as I move south:

The first casts of any productivity were with a 3" Christmas Tree Big Hammer on a 1/4-oz jig-head with 2/0L hook. This yielded a few small Spotted Bay Bass. I also caught Spotties throughout the day using a 1/4-oz blue and chrome Kastmaster. Here are two photos to represent.

Small Spotted Bay Bass likes Christmas Trees:

Another Small Spotted Bay Bass:

I rigged a weedless Carolina Rig with a DOA CAL jerkshad that I brought back with me from Florida. The color is rootbeer and chartruse. Perhaps not so surprising this yielded a San Diego Trout......I mean a Corvina.

Corvina from the DOA jerkshad:

Close-up of DOA jerkshad:

This dink Halibut hit my Kastmaster on the top! Of course this is only in a few feet of water. I tried several more casts for big-brother but no more were to be found.

Halibut:

Further south, I got into a school of Needlefish chasing my Kastmaster. Many chased and struck but only a few stuck. Here is a photo of one of these scissor-mouthed malodorous species.

This Needlefish jumped out of the water many times during the fight. He though he was a Marlin! I still did not want to touch him:

After landing, I took this photo of the beach showing the exposed floor of the bay. That grass and seaweed is normally covered by water. I had to pull my kayak across that soft mud too!

Beach after landing showing low tide:

Unfortunately, the Bonefish were nowhere to be found today. All fish were released unharmed and swam away. Anyway...

...until later...Matt

Last edited by iethinker; 10-26-2015 at 07:28 PM.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote