Thread: La Jolla 7/7/17
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
FISH11

That video was from 2015, but two weeks ago I saw the dorsal and tail fins of what I knew was a shark swimming in 70 feet of water just west of the condo at the Cove. it was about 25 yards in front of me and another ten yards past it was a medium sized sealion. I saw the shark swimming and from when I spotted it, it went another 20 yards and went under not to be seen again. The shape of the fins made made think it might have been a GW about 9 feet long, but what didn't seem right is that the sealion never moved. It just stayed there with it head out of the water. I thought if it was a GW, there would be no way the sealion would have stayed or could have been targeted. There have been numerous hook ups that have broken leaders and taken hooks to me and several friends I know in the last few weeks. With the recent temperature rise, I think that even though I or others have not seen one close enough to ID lately, it is very likely that they might be in the area.