View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 10:00 AM   #18
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

Really good comment: The ecosystem around La Jolla is definitely broken.

Based on what I have heard from others for quite some time, I agree. I'm sure it is due to a number of factors including El Nino's, La Nina's etc..., but I tend to think the Seals have depleted the overall fish population for too many years and the MLPA hasn't had the impact, as they sold to the publick. What do you think ?

Anyway, I have no data, just a below average kayak fisherman's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
We all miss the good old days. The ecosystem around La Jolla is definitely broken. Sure there are Calicos to be found and some rock fish, but even they are not around in the number of the past. It used to be that catching Calicos was to me a pain because they constantly would get hooked while drifting or trolling a lure or live mackerel. Some love that, I found it by-catch, because I always targeted Yellowtail or WSB. The Calicos also where most times bigger then now. It's a bit anoying that some post on here to complain about the lack of reports, when the number of times they have posted, in years can be almost counted on two hands. Those that don't contribute or spend time on the water, don't deserve to be told the exact location of where to go find fish. The reality is the numbers of all species being caught in the La Jolla (San Diego) area are provably 20% (might be generous) of what it used to be. Bottom line is get out there and see if we can change the numbers, because we actually caught something. I don't beleive there are that many being caught and not reported. Fishing really has been that bad for 3-4 years now.
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote