View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #8
spicolly

Practice....

I launched a few times on both sides of the warm water jetties. The launch and landing is definitely more challenging than LJ! I've always headed south towards Terramar, though I talked (last yr) to a few guys on the beach who said there was smaller kelp north of the Hedionda jetties.

My first experience sucked because I didn't time in-between sets right. I figured I could just punch my nose through like I was surfing. One wave got me sideways, the next one dumped me. Humbling experience. Fortunately, I tied down my gear except for my gaff, which I lost. The next few times were successful - I waited and watched the breaks, then pushed my yak forward and hopped in. While I haven't mastered launching at CBad, I am more confident. I am less confident in landing at CBAD. Unlike LJ, there can be fast, consistent shore break. I haven't had a landing incident yet, but the shore break can be brutal. Similar to Curtis' report, I've gone during the middle of the week and been the only one out there. While nice avoiding a crowd, it can be kind of sketchy being alone out there...it "feels sharky" and makes one appreciate making buddies on the water in LJ.
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote