View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
Tried it out last night. First time on the big bay and first time night fishing. Propped it up using one of my flush mounts behind me to avoid glare. I guess since I'm here typing a review in one piece I have to say it works.

I did use my headlamp when crossing the channel and paddling through high traffic areas. But in the shallower areas and while drifting I only had the light pole on. The few boaters that did pass by did notice me from a safe distance and adjusted course and speed. The LED didn't seem as bright or intense as the halogens I saw but that might be because of my perspective. There were others out there in total darkness or just using glow sticks and I could easily make them out (20/20 vision and I eat my carrots ). I guess since the LED is brighter than a glow stick I should be safe. Headlamp, spotter light, extra batteries, and some common sense to add of course.

It does sorta rattle and bang around in the rod holder. Easily remedied with some heatshrink, duct tape, buttcap... etc. Also considering cutting it in half and adding a coupler and maybe some bungee for space saving purposes. But at 4ft it's already short enough as it is.

Hope this review helps out if you're looking to build one yourself.

Very nice DIY!
To minimize the rattling try some pipe (plumbing) insulation (Home Depot). I bought mine as a second due to damage to the foam spacer/cushion. Removed old foam and replaced with new. Been functioning for 5+ years now.
Finally found some heat shrink tubing to protect foam. Should last 10years or so!
(JMO) You should attach some cross lock snaps and mount a flag.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote