View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #27
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Why are greenbacks that much better than Spanish mac’s for YT? I’ve read numerous articles referring to pinning a Spanish mac on and what great bait they are. Then, I’ve read other articles that indicate Spanish mac’s are the least preferred bait for YT. I can’t remember the last time on BWE I read about someone pinning a Spanish mac on and nailing a YT. What’s the difference? I know I’ll get some wise @ss remarks, but I am totally serious. Last weekend I couldn’t catch a grennback for the life of me, but caught a shit load of Spanish.
Greenbacks are essentially tuna, Spanish are jacks.

Think of it like Bonita vrs yellowtail.

Greenbacks are faster and have more flash, Spanish are heartier and last longer on the hook. Greenbacks have to be constantly swimming to breath, Spanish can sit still in your tank, and be fine. I've caught yellows on both, but nothing get's bit quicker when things are hot then a lively lit up greenback. Flyline I prefer greenbacks, halibut I prefer greenbacks, or fast bites I prefer greenbacks on the loop, but for dropper loop fishing when things are slow I prefer spanish because the live longer on a dropper loop rigs. One thing to note. On a Carolina rig, or halibut rig a greenback will swim around and stay off the bottom, untill it wears itself out and dies. A Spanish will hug the bottom and hide, for that reason sometimes spanish are better on a dropper loop the a carolina unless you are on clean sand.

Like I said: I like both, caught yellows on both, but I like to use them in slightly different ways.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-09-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote