View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 06:15 AM   #8
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
...I've never practiced, but I've watched some videos and set up the kayak with a rope on one of the grab rails on the PA. Thinking is that I'll throw the rope over and right the ship with the help of the rope. I've also added a step ladder contraption to the back of the PA so I can re-enter by the bait tank.

I also saw recently that Kevin Nakada dove in after he dropped his cell phone and re-entered from the front hatch.

So my question is how do you really practice in real world conditions?
When I got my PA14, one of the first things I did was see how difficult it would be to get back in. One of the mistakes people make is going out on a nice day in their swim trunks and trying it out. I was in full fishing gear with fishing PFD on (you dont realize how bulky and in the way a PFD can be until you are trying to re-enter a kayak - it wants to catch on everything). By far the easiest, and for me the only way to get back in is either over the bow, or over the transom - if you dont have a bait tank, even easier. Having a rope loop tied to the rear grab bar that you can use as a stirrup to lift yourself up makes it a piece of cake - especially with a bait tank in place.

Now the Solo skiff with its long stiletto pointed bow makes it easy to slide right under you, then work your way back to the hatch and just sit up straddling the bow. then inch your way back to the cockpit. Had to figure that one out in real time down in Gonzaga...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote