View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #8
dpricenator

I paddle a 14 ft Ocean Kayak Malibu XL, that I can set up for tandem use or for solo use. Having to put the rod down to reposition the yak is cumbersome in tight spots. Like around the boat slips, or on a rocky point. For a drift It is fine. I paddle out of DP harbor, head up current or up wind for an hour opr so and then drift back down for a couple hours. The Pedals would help me around the kelp beds, so I could fish it from different angles and sides. Currently I just grab a piece of kelp, and put my foot on it to hold myself in place. So you see how that could slow down the fishing. My legs are like tree trunks so I know I could Pedal a Hobie to Catalina, if I wanted too. PRO: the Paddle works out the upper body - CON: The paddle certainly inhibits my success fishing. (or at least that's my excuse). My biggest problem with getting a Pedal power yak, is that for $3,500 or even $2,500 I could buy a 14' skiff with and out board motor. Not only could I get a few miles off shore in the morning for some fish, but Could also cruise the harbor with the wife and or kids. For a strictly fishing set, up in a Yak, I would PEDAL, if I could afford it.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote