View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
FishNinjaY

I wish I could join you!

I headed out there solo, with my son this last Sunday, and I know what you mean about wanting to be with others. My son got a little scared being so far out, so we turned back a bit too soon. About 1/4 to 1/2 mile further out, a bunch of kayakers were slaying the reds.

The bait barge area looks fishy to me, but I didn't see any yaks fishing there. I didn't stop by since time was short, so I don't know how much it costs. I'm guessing $10 plus tip for a kayak scoop of 'dines and/or 'chovys??

Just so you know...

re.. KID BEACH.. it looks like a great launch site on Google Earth.
..but, few things..

(1) There's a lot of road construction along that area of Balboa, so NO PARKING along that beach side. You can probably find parking across the street, or on a side street, but you have to roll your PA over the road construction onto Kid Beach. Not a big deal, there are driveways so you don't even need to jump a curb.

(2) Bigger problem.. there is a small brick retaining wall on Kid Beach you have to navigate. It's about a 3 foot drop down to the lower sand, or you can try bouncing down 3-4 cinder block steps. On the way back, I decided to kayak past it, and beach at K STREET. This is a very small beach.. pretty much a tiny patch of sand with a storm drain exiting, but you should be able to find it. Just keep looking to your left as you move along the shore. You'll see the street and some small skiffs stacked there. I would look for Balboa and K Street, and launch there. (GPS = 33.599857,-117.8869 )

The other option is to launch across the harbor, near the Coast Guard Harbor Patrol Station. I've heard that's a good place, but parking is a bit hard. You can dump your gear, and then go park. It's off Bayside Dr. I think the Google Maps GPS coordinates are: 33.602125,-117.882679

Good luck!!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote