View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #16
isghj
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by isghj View Post
Is scent really that strong of a trigger? Could I really just take a wooden log smear it with some fish smell goup and catch fish?
How do you suppose the shark finds you in the first place? Do you think it's using it's excellent eyesight to spot you in that big ocean?
No sorry, I was thinking of a different question/topic, is smell strong enough to override what the object looks like and/or how it moves, since the question in my head was Is there a paint I can use to make the tube visibly unappealing to a shark?

I was being incredulous, smell may have attracted the shark, but I didn't think it would be strong enough to make the shark bite something it didn't recognize as food. It seemed silly to think that the smell would influence the shark so much that it would attack a log of wood if it smelled like mackerel.

The question in my head was is there a visual appearance that would disuade the shark from attacking the tube regardless of other factors (smell, movement, ect) because I didn't think the other factors could be nullified. I can't stop the fish from moving, it would put him at risk of getting stuck bellyup and/or without movement for putting water in his gills. I didn't think I would find a way to mask the smell with anything, I haven't found a wolfs scent, or the fishing equivalent anywhere yet to put on the tube to cover the bait's smell and blood.

If it wasn't for the smell being such a strong attractant, I might look at finding a way to do something to the fishes' electrical field to mess up the sharks electroreception, but I get the impression it's mostly used at night in the dark, and the smell would probably override it anyway...
isghj is offline   Reply With Quote