View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I know someone.
Otherwise I check eBay from time to time, you can sometimes find good prices w/free ship. I just bought a 1500 yard spool of 30# Power Pro Slick 8 for $135 shipped.
As for spooling your own reel...do you really need 300 yards of line? A trick I learned while working in a tackle shop is to cross load (criss-cross) the line when spooling up at the base and slowly minimize the angle of load. The trick is not to lay the line right next to each other. Ever notice that baitcasters don't lay the line right next to each other? I usually can get about 250 yards on my reels which has always been enough.
I started to do this with my long range gear especially on my Wide Internationals decades ago (otherwise I have loaded my 50SW with 600 yards of 100# Izor when I worked at the shop!). I figure if a fish could strip that much line off my reel he could have the line...point the rod and wait until I get to the knot! The heck with attaching another rod and tossing my rod over the side! NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
Just my .02!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote