View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #17
TJones

water intrusion

have you tried to remove your sd card? I had a dragon fly and sold it. unit was working as intended when I sold it. the buyer also got a fish and chip card with unit. I was not able to remove it prior to sale. I did not want to force it. most of these units have issues with water intrusion, especially at the card port. I would definitely not recommend hosing down any electronic unit with pressurized water. similar to reel care, take a damp towel and pat the unit to clean and remove salt deposits. I also currently have a helix 5 and did what most people do and hose the unit down. the next trip out, I would notice misting on screen from the inside. remarkably the unit has had no issues. again, this technique is not recommended. helix 5 is an extraordinary unit for the 500$ range. the dragon fly because of its simplicity is attractive, but if you are not adjusting or learn how to adjust you fish finder according to conditions, then you will be missing out on things taking place. its like anything, more time and experience has huge dividends. both of these units are great, and obviously hummingbird has some great products to compete with lowrance. I also know people who are having problems with the mid price units of lowrance and for that reason hummingbird might be a better choice. if you can find a hds gen 2, than I would grab it. I traded mine in for gen 3. they are similar units and you will not be disappointed with performance . needless to say, it will not be cheap, out of warranty, and some risk involved as when buying any used electronic item. hope this feedback helps.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote