View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Do you have to save all the GPS points separately or does it save all of them at once?
With those instructions above, it will save all of your coordinates into one file. It's super small, because it's just a text file with coordinates AFAIK.
If you have a navionics chip like the one that came included with my Hook5, you can just save them to that.

The thing to be careful with is loading coordinates *back* into your unit.
I think it will duplicate them, so you need to delete all of the existing ones in the unit before loading up the new edited ones.
As a failsafe, I just backed up the original file in case anything went wrong.

The whole process was pretty cool. I was able to look at old waypoints as they related to underwater structure on Google earth. I was also able to rename and clean up some old waypoints, and enter coordinates from a Fish-n-Map Co map I bought....

For anyone playing around with it, I found it's very important to go into settings in google earth and make sure you turn off "Tilt automatically when zooming" and hit the "R" key and zoom in REALLY CLOSE when you're ready to drop pins to mark structure... Otherwise it will be pretty inaccurate.

I'm also tempted to play around with the Lowrance editor, as I wasn't super clear on how to draw "Trails" in the GPX format.... In some cases, I'd prefer to draw lines to mark ridge tops and depressions rather than just a bunch of pins.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote