View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Funny story :P

It's 22", dagnabit!
(however, a 22" halibut is only about 4.5 pounds, so you are doing us all a favor by releasing these small halibut close to the legal limit.)

I was out past Zuniga jetty looking for halibut where the main channel starts to form. Began getting lots of raked bait along the submerged jetty on the way back in. I was drifting/slow peddling different depths from the more shallow shoulder down to the middle of the channel, then back up to the shoulder. Not "50" but it was pretty steady chew marks with each drop. I don't think I get that many sardines with a $10 kayak size scoop to begin with.

Wouldn't the annoying macs you encountered be superior bait on your halibut rigs than sardines from the bait barge?

---

On the subject of lots of water in your boat, are you perchance using a Hobie Outback?

I upgraded to one that is almost new and had terrible amounts of water coming in the front hatch from waves over my bow. The fix was simple --- the two nylon straps that hold the lid of the front hatch in place were too short, preventing the hatch from seating down properly on the rubber gasket. I unfolded the double wrap (puts the nylon over the screw head) and that extra 1" or so of nylon strap was all that was necessary to relieve the tension that was making my new front hatch leak. Problem solved.

This guy sanded his, but if the straps are turned flat rather than folded over, I don't think sanding is necessary. In any case, it addresses this problem on some later model Outbacks. Mine is a 2014. My earlier year Outback did not have this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkkfHUeUi_g

I also carry an NRS bilge pump that I picked up from Aqua Adventures for about $20. A large cottage cheese container and a Shamwa works well too. It's a pain in the butt peddling around in rough water with extra water sloshing around in the hull.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-25-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote