View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I like the utility of vest pockets pre-packed with a short checklist of gear I want at my fingertips - camera, flashlight, tethered emergency flip-knife, hook cutter, iphone or radio. Map pocket if I'm using a map, but that's easy to tuck inside. If I find one that's comfortable as a vest and manually inflatable, I might like to upgrade to cut down on the bulk a little.

I use my Tilley hat for part of my gear list - it has a pocket inside the top for my fishing license and a stash of money for the bait barge or lunch. I replaced the chin strap with two 72" braided nylon boot laces to have handy as extra emergency cord if I need it. They are loosely knotted together as one and are a convenient length for my line cutter (nail clippers) and signal whistle.

The vest and hat work together to keep small essentials stowed, ready and out of the way. It's always pre-packed so I don't have to think about it.

For now I'm using a Hobie kayak vest with mesh zipper pockets that came free with my boat. It's not uncomfortable and clears the seat nicely.