View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 05:12 AM   #2
Sheephead

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggmann View Post
I have a hook4 combo unit and really need some help on reading/understanding what I'm looking at on the screen.

How can I tell if the bottom is sandy/soft?

Any pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

I know this seems like a newb question but I really want learn to make the most of a tool in the toolbox.

Thanks
Don't spend my time looking at the bottom only so no great tips for you but generally, when I rarely look at the bottom, i set my depth setting to 40-60' deeper. Ex: im in 50' so i'll set my depth to 90 or 105ish. If its a rock bottom you won't pick up another layer below what your transducer is reading as the bottom or if you do it will be radically deeper. If your above a sandy bottom then your transducer will mark 1-3 additional layers 10-40' below what it's currently reading as the bottom.

In addition, sometimes the bottom is shown as a thinner/ thicker layer. i can only assume thinner means super hard bottom and thicker most likely means coarse sand. I'd imagine if the sand was fine it would be a thinner line due to being able to pack together better and marking 1-3 layers beneath the bottom would be mud. Could be wrong on this though.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote