View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

October Sleigh Ride

Gosh this season just keeps on producing great fishing! After watching Bert and Josh rule the ocean while I had nary a bite to speak of, I was extra motivated to get another shot at the yt bite which has been cranking up and down the coast.

Got out Wednesday before work. Bait was much more scarce, and I only made 3 pmacs. That was 3 times what I needed. Conditions were epic. The deep bait clouds we have had are still hovering around. But these aren’t macks... Not a single sign of bait on the surface or any bird activity. If you don't have your sonar dialed in, it would be real tough to be in the game.

I thought this yellow didn’t fight that hard; I even thought it was a white at first. But then I watched the video and saw how far and how fast that fish towed me. It’s a solid 2 minute sleigh ride. I'll be the first to admit my technique is a little less refined than that of Mr. Finesse, Greg Andrew. This one was caught on 50lb mono to 40lb flouro leader, and I horsed it with full drag. From bite to gaff was less than 3 minutes. Battling dogs and bug traps this month has made me weary of letting fish run too much...

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote