View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
bjoseph
Junior

hobie adventure and back pain

I have had intermittent chronic back pain due to scoliosis and kyphosis and subvertebral subluxation for forty years. As a result, I purchased a hobie adventure rather than a paddle kayak. I have had it out probably fifty times the last two years for as long as six hours at a time and have never had any back pain. This contrasts to sitting on an airplane for only an hour at a time on a regular basis and having tons of back pain. The Hobie's are fast, your hands are free, but you will probably be lazy like me and use your drive to go out through the surf, which works fine. I am also lazy and use it to come back through the surf, which works less fine. You will also probably find that you are less agile than a paddle kayak, unless you also use a paddle to turn and back up. The drive is a pain in the kelp and you have to watch the stringers and pull the paddles against the hull when you pass one. If I was purchasing a new kayak I would purchase the revolution which was not available when I bought the adventure. Ron Lane at Fast Lane is great about letting you test drive the equipment. He will even let you borrow one and take it for a surf launch. Check it out. It is great to have your hands free and when you add the turbo flippers it really moves out.
bjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote