View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
steveooo

I have an extreme and a hobie adventure. The malibu is for sure the more comfortable yak. It has more deck space, it is a dryer ride, a better layout, and is pretty much the rolls royce of kayaks. I bought the adventure with the same idea as you, to get rid of back pain. Wrong. Back pain is the same in both yaks, maybe a little worse in the hobie due to you actually putting all your weight on your butt, rather than having it spread out over all your butt and legs. I have tried every comfy seat out there (GTS airwave, GTS pro) and lower back pain is the same in both yacks.

With that being said, when I fish I usually take the hobie. The main reason is endurance. I can fish a lot longer in the hobie. It is nice to not worry about wind or a lengthy paddle back after an extended fishing session. I can get out of the kayak after literally a 20 mile session and still have energy left for the day. Yes, the adventure is fast in a sprint, but I have found that when you peddle at a comfortable speed that will not burn you out, it is roughly the same speed as someone that paddles.

For lower back pain I have found that it is related a lot to your hamstring flexibility. Ever notice than when your back is killing you after an extended paddle that your hams are really tight too? I know it sucks and is boring but try doing the old-school touch your toes stretch a few times a day; for me it did not completely get rid of it, but did help alleviate it a little. (i knew my kinesiology exercise science degree would come in handy someday!)
Sorry the write up is so long, but I hope it helps a bit.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote