View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 10:44 PM   #19
peguinpower
bing!

I have a Hobie Revolution. Owned it for a year. I love the boat, but I will try to give you an un-biased review.

First, they are not all that fast. I fish with people with folks who paddle Prowler 15s and Malibu Xtremes. You'll blow them away in sprints, but for long hauls, its like a regular kayak. It has the potential for speed, but as with anything, it dont come for free. Start doing some squats and pack some power bars

Second, leg power gives you a lot more range and will let you plow thru those windy days. This is probably the best quality of a mirage drive kayak for me. I live where the Santa Ana winds blow big time. The mirage drive is my insurance.

Third, all other kayaks HAVE virtually NO MOVING PARTS. That means NO MAINTENANCE. Mirage drive kayaks have the rudder and the drive. And just like anything else, these will break every now and then. Nothing major, but you will experience the occasional rudder line fraying or stripped drive sprocket. Personally, I havent needed to fix anything save for torn flippers, but know of people who have.

Fourth, is fishing HANDs FREE the shitz? Its ok. I miss it when I leave my pedals at home and try to get an upper body work out.

Lastly, if you are already a strong paddler, you may not want to spend 1500 for a mirage drive kayak.

The Revolution will take four 7 foot rods with reels into the front hatch. Access is ok, not super easy, but ok. You'll need rod socks when storing rod in there as the hull will scratch up the rods bad after a few go's.

Surf launching and landing, no problem. The Revo paddles pretty good. Not too different from a Prowler 13 or a Tarpon 140. It aint a surfski

I'm a middle aged 160 pound desk jockey. I needed it
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote