View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
blitzburgh

"Clip-worthy" Rockfish - Newport 6/14

I went on a taco mission for some Father’s Day grill action. Got to the Newport CG station at 6 and it was busier than usual at that time. Super negative tide made for nice, sloppy, calf-high mud launch. On the water at 6:30 and at the entrance around 6:50. Just outside the entrance I made a few greenbacks to drop in case the squid wasn’t the ticket. Conditions were a little bumpy early but smoothed out nice around 8am. Water temp moved around from 66.8 to 68. I got to the spot and had steady pick at smaller grade Reds.

fficeffice" />>>
>>
I would like to say that I have been using the Roklees releasing tool since I bought it at the Fred Hall show last March. Eight rockfish trips since and this thing is performing exactly as it is intended. I have successfully released every fish I did not want back. I tried this tool on a couple different rods but settled on a 6’ heavy & an old Jigmaster with 65 lb braid on it plus a 1 lb torpedo lead. I know other guys on here have shown some cool homemade rigs but I just like this thing. Definitely feels good safely releasing these fish.>>
>>
Anyway, on my last drop I picked up a pig of Copper for a good kicker fish. This beauty was bulldoggin’ it all the way up and was deemed “Clip-worthy”

>>
>>

Taped out just over 20" and THICK. Tasted great on the grill for Daddy’s day. Tight lines fellas.