View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #69
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by INGRIDSDAD View Post
I recently upgraded to the HDS7 gen 3, has anyone messed with the total scan transducer? Any advantage over the 50/200?
I personally have not... but I've read up on it and apparently it's bitchin. Its one for the first consumer grade sidescan transducers on the market... and definitely one of the best for rec fishers. The thing can allow you to generate 3D bathymetric maps of the sea floor!

Aside from all of the awesomeness of the total scan, it comes with one huge drawback for kayak. In order for the side scan to work, the transducer must sit proud of the bottom of your boat. It has to be able to see out to the sides, so it cant be recessed into the transducer scupper. That's fine on the water, but when you go to launch or land on sand (or worse yet rocks or a boat launch) the transducer will scrape on the ground. Scratching up the surface of the ducer is bad and will mess with its precision.

If I were gonna try the total scan, I would go with a boom arm over the scupper mount. Then you could just pull it out the of the water for launch and landing.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote