Thread: a pair of jacks
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
I did not say anything about the report except i personally would not have killed them. I enjoy the timely report as do others i just belive that sometimes fish should be catch and release if there too small. Dont tell me if someone posted showing a bunch of 4 inch calicos someone woulnt have complained. I just belive in letting the fish grow up and get a chance to breed so our kids and our kids kids will get a chance to catch a offspring of that fish.
You apparently don't know a lot about the breeding habits of our local fish.

First, it is legal to catch and keep 5lb yellowtails. They reproduce at an alarming rate which is why the Tuna sportboats are putting hundreds of yellows in their daily counts.

Second, it is illegal to keep calicos under 12", so that post will never occur, unless by a total moron. It takes years and years for calicos to become legal. Those yellowtail are maybe a year old.

You can keep 5 yellowtail of that size, the next 5 have to be longer than 24". 4" calicos are illegal.

Thanks, Danjor for releasing your small yellowtail. Maybe we'll catch them on our next trip and have some fresh hamachi to look forward to.