View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Mongo Johnson

Noob asks: Is Pat Holmes "Iron" rig story a good way to 'get started'?

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.php?page=iron

I lurked a bit here trying to learn about yaks prior to purchasing one (Revo 13). I've been gettin' wet and loving it.

Now, I'm geting seduced by the "community" and fishin'. And, I'm a total fishing rookie other than loving walking trout streams away from the crowd.

As my first toe in the water on fishing . . .

I came across Pat Holmes "iron" story as I tried to find an "easy" way to get started and yet NOT rig up my boat too extemely. Not to say Pat's technique info is "easy." Sounds like there's learning curve here. (Not even thinkin' yet of GPS, depthfinder etc.)

But, in the context of "getting started" and traveling light, is it right to see going with iron as a way to go. Iron was enticing as I won't have to get all baited up.

The author is a seasoned fisherman, is the rig overkill for a noob's first rig? I've no experience of under or overkill here.

Diawa Sealine-X XHV50 reel and blue/white Salas 6x Jr and a 6’ 40-60# rated rod with 40# mono

I guess I'm just looking for a recipe to get me on the water with a rig, a gaff so I can paddle some miles and gradually begin to figure all this stuff out. (Maybe I won't need a gaff if I'm only bringin' in minnows. )

In support of the LB area part of this community, is there a shop that knows the sport and is competitively priced on rigs that might help me get going?