Thread: Deterring Seals
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
BigTunaL

Deterring Seals

Anyone tried any of the NOAA approved methods below? I think I’ll adding a slingshot to my tackle box next time.

Source:

http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa....ce_methods.pdf

Potential methods for use by fishers to deter Pacific harbor seals, California sea lions, and eastern U.S. stock Steller sea lions from damaging gear or catch (anglers must be actively fishing with gear deployed).
Visual Repellents/Noise Makers:
• boat hazing, circling
• pounding on hull
• pyrotechnics (e.g., bird screamers, bangers, underwater firecrackers, cracker shells)
• starter pistols
• horns, bells, whistles
Physical Contact:
• slingshots
• non-toxic and water soluble paint ball guns • non-lethal ammunition (e.g., rubber bullets, sabot rounds, game stingers)
Methods to Avoid – The following methods and techniques have an increased likelihood of causing injury or death and should be avoided.
• No Firearms with “live” (lethal) ammunition
• No Devices with Injurious Projectiles (e.g., archery gear, crossbows, spear guns, bangsticks) • No Sharp/Pointed Objects (e.g., harpoons, spears, gaffs, nail studded bats/poles/clubs)
• No Entangling Devices (e.g., loose webbing, snares, concertina wire)
• No Aggressive Tactile Methods (e.g., striking animals with bats, hammers etc., impact with vehicles or boats)
• No Tainted Baits or Poisons
Act responsibly & use common sense
Regardless of method or intent, the property owner or fisher may be subject to prosecution should a marine mammal be seriously injured or killed as a result of deterrence efforts for the protection of property, gear or catch.
Remember personal safety
Attempts by property owners and/or fishers to deter nuisance animals from engaging in unwanted behaviors using non-lethal means is a personal choice and not without risk (to the person doing the deterring and anyone around them). Sea lions and seals are wild animals that may react unpredictably to non-lethal deterrence measures, resulting in personal injury or additional damage to property. Sea lions are large and powerful animals that can move as quickly as a person on land.
Be aware of people around you and be courteous
The safe use of some of the above-listed potential methods (e.g., cracker shells, non-lethal ammunition) requires considerable skill and experience. The use of some of these methods may precipitate undesirable social interactions. If you are in possession of a firearm, law enforcement officers approaching your property or vessel will assume that your firearm is loaded with lethal ammunition.
Individuals attempting to deter nuisance sea lions and seals, using the above the listed potential methods are similar techniques, do so at their own risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote