View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

6/27 Cardiff Fishing Results

Well, I got to the beach at resturant row around 7:30. There was plenty of parking in the Charlies parking lot, (Charlies is closed until further notice). The surf was small and I made it out with ony a couple of waves bouncing off of my chest.

Once outside the surf line, I switched to peddle power and quickly made it to the kelp. It was calm and I was the only one there. It was a beautiful, quiet June Gloom morning.

I decided to just try lures this trip and did not attempt to make bait. I am not very good using plastics and my rookiness showed. I tried everything but failed to coax even a small callico out of the kelp. My newest lure was one of those strange looking MC Slugs. I guess I wasn't presenting it correctly because it drew no action. Maybe someone could start a thread on how to fish with this lure.

I also tried scampi and various swim baits with no success. Finally I switched to a crockadile and had a little fun. Basically, I just trolled the lure next to the kelp and picked up about a dozen small fish. They were mostly Barricuda but once when I let the lure fall to the bottom, I picked up a little Halibut.

I am certain that once I learn how to fish this place, it will become one of my favorite spots. The easy access and nearby location are major plusses.

After a few hours, I realized that it was still a work day and figured I should head in. With the small surf, I thought for a minute about not stowing my rods but better judgement won out. I peddled to the surf line, put everything away and switched to paddle power.

Just then, a big set came in. Fortunately, I was far enough out to keep from getting crunched. When the next lull came, I paddled as hard as could and made it to the shallows. The bad news is that the place I chose to land was in the middle a big rip. All of a sudden, I was in a washing machine with waves coming at me from all directions. Somehow, I got turned around and was getting pushed in stern first by a bunch of small waves.

Hobies are not designed to surf backwards so, you guessed it, I flipped over in two feet of water. Had I kept my rods in the Crate Mate, I am sure that they would have been snapped in two.

It was a fun morning. I will do it again soon.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote