View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 01:32 AM   #1
Semper Fi-shing

Redondo 1. 27.18

Launched at 9am from Whale Watching/Sport Fishing docks and started to make my way to Palos Verdes but was shadowed by a very persistent seal. Managed to drop my novice sardine/stinger setup past him in 110 ft of water and started trolling for halibut when i trolled into 60 ft of water. Thats when Mr Nitwit decides to take my bait and send me on a sleigh ride. Its too bad he couldnt pull me the rest of the way to PV but instead he decides to go the opposite way. 20 minutes later after being pulled at 4 mph halfway from PV to almost the mouth of the harbor, i was finally able to break my line and continue trolling back to the Palawan and Malaga Cove....sans one pesky seal. Needless to say, my novice stinger set up held better than i expected..

Not much luck at the kelp beds, RAT beach, or along the way back into the harbor except alot of short bites and a couple calicos. Met up with my buddy Jim who was slamming bass in the harbor with a fly rod. He managed to land about 12 bass, 2 of which were 3-4 lbs.

Jim left and i stayed around to hoop for lobsters around the jetty. Managed 3 keepers in the first 30 minutes, one of which was 3+ lbs....almost 5 inches measured, before i got one of my hoops lodged in the rocks. Pulled in every direction and angle but couldnt budge the sucker loose. Managed one more keeper to finsh the night.

Total count:

Jim:
12 or so bass.

Myself:
2 bass
4 keeper lobsters.
A dozen or so mackerels
1 spider crab.
3 octopus.
20 undersize lobsters.
1 seal
-1 hoop net